Upcoming Events & Programs
- Author Visit and Program: Tuesday, October 17, 2017 at 5-6 pm in the Community Room. Melting the Ice Curtain: The Extraordinary Story of Citizen Diplomacy on the Russian-Alaskan Frontier” book presentation by longtime Alaskan and Russian expert, David Ramseur. Join us for an evening of Alaska history and the role our great state played in the Cold War. www.davidramseur.com
- Museum Drop-in Craft: Friday & Saturday, Oct. 20-21, noon-4 pm. Stop by the Museum Kitchen Table to make your own tissue paper pumpkin sun catcher to hang in your window. All ages welcome!
- 1st Community Book Club Meeting: Saturday, October 21, 2017 at 11 am in the Meeting Room. Let’s talk about Eowyn Ivey’s latest book To the Bright Edge of the World. Bring a brunch dish to share at the get together and get connected with other members of the community. The books selected are based off the patron’s selection. Enjoy good food, discuss a good read, and get settled in for the winter with an assortment of intoxicating literature. Community Book Club meets every other month during the off season. Chime in with suggestions for the next book selection. Psst…we’re thinking about recipe books and incorporating food into our discussions…let us know what you think!
- Look Up to the Stars Event: Tuesday, October 24, 2017 at 4-6 pm in the Community Room. Don’t miss the Look Up to the Stars event for all ages with Kevin Manning. Enjoy an educational and entertaining exploration of the universe, the stars and other celestial wonders, as well as a refreshingly large perspective gained by looking up to the stars. This program is dynamic and engaging, and audiences have the opportunity to view the amazing rings of Saturn, craters of the moon and other jewels of the night sky through a powerful telescope, weather permitting. Thank you to the Seward Community Library Association who has generously sponsored this special program. www.lookuptothestars.com
- 4th Annual Open House: Saturday, Nov 4, 1-4 pm. Everyone is invited to our Open House for fun and engaging activities at the Library Museum to celebrate our community after a busy summer and shoulder seasons. Come and experience this special community celebration and see what’s new at the Library Museum! Contact Valarie Kingsland at 907-224-4008 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like to volunteer to help with this event.
- Can Your Fines: We will forgive overdue fines with canned/dry food donations for our local food bank. You’ll also get an additional ticket to enter for the prize drawings.
- Free Museum Admission: Check out the new temporary Commercial Fishing in the Resurrection Bay exhibit and share your fishing stories on an interactive board.
- Hot Chocolate Bar: Make a special hot chocolate concoction with tasty flavorings and toppings. Other light refreshments and beverages will be served.
- Lego Play Time: Get a Lego Play Time pass from the library front desk to get into the Meeting Room to play with our amazing Lego collection. Duplos will be made available to play with in the Children’s Room, no pass needed.
- Live Music: Acoustic guitar player and singer Luke Rosier will play upstairs.
- Paint a Rock: Activate your artistic power and pick out a rock to paint to take home or to leave with us for our beautiful garden. We provide the rocks and paint, but don’t forget to wear your painting clothes!
- Photo Booth: Stop by the YA (Young Adult) Room to pose for fun and silly photos with a wintery backdrop and props using your own cell phone or device. Don’t forget to share the fun with us on Facebook or Instagram!
- Prize Drawings: Each visitor gets a ticket at the door to enter for prize drawings. Need to be present for random drawings for small prizes. No need to be present for grand prize drawings for a Kindle Fire or $100 Amazon gift card.
- Play Time: Every Saturday from 12-4 pm in the Children’s Room all year long. Families will have the opportunity to use themed books from our library collection, puzzles, musical instruments, developmental toys and much more. Each week will offer different resources allowing families and friends to have a unique experience together on Saturday afternoons.
- Play & Chat: Every Wednesday, 10-11:30 am in the Community Room all year long. We are pleased to partner with the Infant Learning Program at SeaView Community Services to provide a free program for all members of the Seward community with children from birth through 5 years of age.
- Story Time: Every Friday at 11 am in the Children’s Room through the April. Story Time is a weekly early literacy program with stories, rhymes, and activities and an occasional craft for children under 5 and their caregivers. Please Note a time change from 10:30am to 11am.
- First Museum Story Time: Friday Nov. 17, 11 am in the Museum, to be held monthly through April. All preschool aged children and their caregivers are invited to learn how to be a Museum Explorers with stories, rhymes and activities in a special museum space created just for little people while connecting to our local history and interests through our museum collections and exhibits during this special monthly event.
- Lunch Bunch: Wednesday, October 25, 2017, 12:30-1:30 pm. The Lunch Bunch will continue to meet on the last Wednesday of each month through April (except December) to talk about books recently read and may include related crafts and activities for all home school families in Seward and outlying areas. It is broken down into groups for three reading levels that meet simultaneously with parent participation so that all homeschool students may participate while visiting the library. Bring a sack lunch and be prepared for crafts, fun topics of interest, connecting with Library Museum resources and much more!
Upcoming Library Museum Closures
- Wednesday, Oct. 18 for Alaska Day Holiday
- Thursday, Nov. 2 for a Training/Work Day, which occurs the first Thursday of each month through May to provide staff with time to acquire training and develop work skills, programs and services to better serve our community. Thank you for this opportunity to serve you better!
- Saturday, Nov. 11 for Veteran’s Day Holiday.