The rain held off and the snow was deep for the exciting 19th Mayor’s Cup Race held at Seavey’s Corner on Saturday afternoon. For the 19th time, Fireman Richard Schmidt built a roaring, welcoming bonfire. The appreciative crowd gathered ’round to roast hot dogs and marshmallows and chat. Then, the fifteen teams of absolutely novice mushers sponsored by local businesses received a brief lesson on the art of dog mushing from Danny Seavey: DON’T LET GO. The highly trained and practically hysterical dog teams of three knew what to do: GO FAST!
Released in two minute intervals, the teams raced on a groomed trail in a large loop and returned to the finish line with big smiles to cheers and applause from the gathered crowd. At the end of the race, Danny filled a sled basket full of enthusiastic kids and took them for a special ride around the course. Afterwards, Dan Seavey and the Seward Iditarod Trail Blazers presented each musher with a ribbon and awarded prizes for First Place, Participant Draw, the best Hard Luck story, and the Red Lantern for last place.
The Seward Iditarod Trail Blazers thanks all the sponsors for their generous support of the race; Dan Seavey, his family, and the Trail Blazers for making it happen; Dan, Mitch, and Danny Seavey, and Rick Tarpey for providing the dog teams and gear; Richard Schmidt for the bonfire; all the kennel owners, trail groomers, timers, trail guards, and concession folks for your cheerful help to make this fun community event possible. Thanks to First National Bank for sponsoring the Musher’s Mixer for the 19th time. Thanks to the Seward Area Quilters for the beautiful quilt for the Participant Draw. And a super special thanks to all the volunteer mushers for their excellent attitudes and courage to hang on for the wild ride behind those fantastic athletes!
If you would like to join the Seward Trail Blazers, receive the monthly newsletter, and learn more about the Iditarod National Historic Trail (aka the Bike Path at Mile Zero and beyond) please contact email@example.com or PO Box 2323, Seward, AK 99664.
Below in winning time order are the sponsoring companies, the volunteer racer, the dog team owner, and the final standing:
- SHORESIDE PETROLEUM Chance Lechner Dan Seavey 1st Place 5:13 Traveling Trophy
- HOTEL 360O Sara Talamantes Mitch Seavey 2nd Place 5:55
- SEWARD FISHERIES Lucus Pulis Mitch Seavey 3rd Place 5;59
- FIRST NATIONAL BANK Jesse Lowery Mitch Seavey 4th Place 6:09
- HARMON CONSTRUCTION Rudey Gaussoin Mitch Seavey 5th Place, 6:10
- LIB/MUSEUM Mattie McGraw Mitch Seavey 6th Place 6:23
- TEL ALASKA Katie Evans Mitch Seavey 7th Place 6:26
- KENAI FJORDS TOURS Cierra Hahn Mitch Seavey 8th Place 6:39
- SEWARD SHIPS’ CHANDLERY Todd German Mitch Seavey 9th Place 6:40
- ALASKA MARINE COATING Raine Ritz Rick Tarpey 10th Place 7:08
- GATEWAY CHEVRON Kiersten Varon Kjellstadli Rick Tarpey 11th Place 7:11
- CAP CONSTRUCTION Tracie Petersen Dan Seavey 12th Place 7:21
- SEWARD PROPERTIES Callie Stark Rick Tarpey 13th Place 7:48
- ALASKA MARINE COATING Gavin Medcalf Rick Tarpey 14th Place 8:37 Participant Draw Quilt
- VIGOR Kristopher Lillemo Mitch Seavey 15th Place 11:56 Hard Luck traveling trophy and Red Lantern Submitted by Carol Griswold