At its regular meeting tonight, Monday, Feb 11, the city council will consider a resolution helping to fund student travel exchanges to our Sister City, Obihiro this summer due to the apparent lack of interest and applications. They also will appoint members to an ad-hoc citizens committee to look into new recreation projects for Seward, and more. The council also meets in brief work sessions with various boards, including the Ports and Commerce, Planning and Zoning and Historic Preservation, to learn their priorities for 2013.
Here’s the council agenda:
SEWARD CITY COUNCIL REGULAR
Monday, February 11, 2013 at 7:00 p.m.
City Council Chambers
1. CALL TO ORDER
2. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
3. ROLL CALL
4. CITIZEN COMMENTS ON ANY SUBJECT EXCEPT THOSE ITEMS SCHEDULED FOR PUBLIC HEARING
5. APPROVAL OF AGENDA AND CONSENT AGENDA
6. SPECIAL ORDERS, PRESENTATIONS AND REPORTS
A. Proclamations and Awards
1. Proclamation supporting the “One Billion Rising” effort to end Violence Against Women
B. Borough Assembly Report
C. City Manager’s Report
D. Mayor Report
E. Other Reports and Presentations
1. Kenai Peninsula Economic Development District’s 2013 Industry Outlook Forum Travel Report by Council Member Casagranda.
7. NEW BUSINESS
*1. Resolution 2013-010, Supporting The 40th Anniversary Of The Sister City Student Exchange Program With Obihiro, Japan By Allocating a Travel Expense Stipend Of $1,000 Each For Up To Two Students In 2013, And Appropriating Funds.
*2. Resolution 2013-011, Retroactively Amending The 2012 Budget To Record Expenditures Of $625,512 Paid By The State Of Alaska On Behalf Of The City Toward The City’s Public Employees Retirement System Liability.
*3. Resolution 2013-012, Prioritizing The City Of Seward’s Calendar Year 2013 Federal Legislative Priorities.
*4. Resolution 2012-013, Approving an Amendment To The Employment Agreement With The City Manager.
B. Other New Business Items
*1. Approval of The January 14, 2013 City Council Regular Meeting Minutes.
*2. Non-objection to the liquor license renewal for Oriental Garden.
3. Appoint members to the Seward Recreation Committee, a Special Ad Hoc Citizen Advisory Committee. Applicants are: Mica Van Buskirk, Joe Allen, Peggy Hamner, Amy Komarek, Jena Petersen, Jody Tuck, Mike Little, David Paperman, Mike Insalaco, and Aspen Rose Aponi.
4. Discuss the Seward Mural Society’s proposal for the 2013 Obihiro Mural Project.
5. Select a council member to travel to Juneau for a legislative reception on February 27, 2013.
8. COUNCIL COMMENTS
9. CITIZEN COMMENTS
10. COUNCIL AND ADMINISTRATION RESPONSE TO CITIZEN COMMENTS
City Council Work Session with Boards and Commissions:
Topic: Discuss annual priorities
Monday, February 11, 2013 in the City Council Chambers Worksession Schedule as follows:
5:00 p.m.: Meet with the Historic Preservation Commission
5:30 p.m.: Meet with the Port and Commerce Advisory Board
6:00 p.m. Meet with the Planning and Zoning Commission