Announcements, Health

Drink It Pure

Send in by Alan Wien, Disaster Response Coordinator

Surface water and water from unprotected wells, or wells too close to a sewage disposal system, are likely to be contaminated.

Whenever surface water is used for drinking and household purposes, or when any question arises concerning the safety of your water supply, steps should be taken to purify the water. If the water is not clear, the sediment should first be allowed to settle. Then only the clear water should be purified. Any one of the two methods for treatment listed below may be used:


Bring water to a boil. Allow it to cool. If the water has a flat taste, pour it back and forth between two clean containers two or three times.

In areas where hydatid disease (Echinococcus) is present in wild animals, water should be boiled for emergency use as the cyst is not destroyed by chlorine.


Add one drop of chlorine bleach, such as Chlorox, Purex, (containing 5.25 to 6% available chlorine) to each quart of water.

If water is not clear, add 3 drops to each quart of water.

Mix thoroughly and allow to stand for 30 minutes before drinking.

If larger quantities of water are to be disinfected with chlorine bleach, use this table for proper dosages:

5.25 – 6% Chlorine Bleach


Key: tsp = teaspoon(use a stainless steel or plastic measuring device. Silver reacts with chlorine)

Note: If a tablespoon is used for measuring, use 1 tablespoon for each 3 teaspoons.

Alan Wien
Disaster Response Coordinator
ADEC Wasilla Office
1700 E. Bogard Rd #B103
Wasilla, AK 99654
Phone (907) 376-1865



Comments are closed.